Tuesday, November 4, 2014

It's The Little Things

I love doing large projects but I think that it is the little touches that turn a house into a home. In the past few months we have slowed way down but I have started to do small projects here and there. 

A fireplace mantel is always hard for me to decorate. I don't like things too busy but mantels need to be accessorized. The pictures in the shutter frame are from left to right: Santorini, Huntington Beach, Yellowstone. The pictures in the smaller frames are: Brian and Amelia at the Nubble light house and Brian surfing in Santa Cruz. 
 I added a jar (I loooove glass jars) to the mantel to collect shells from our beach trips. We usually hit the beach once a week and Amelia loves collecting rocks and shells. Occasionally a shell will find its way home and they have been landing in our jar. We even have some shells from Hawaii, California, and North Carolina in there. 
We also made some small changes in our entryway. I'll give you a little before photo to remind you of where we started. 
We changed the bulb on the light fixture. Eventually we want to replace this all together but it is definitely an upgrade. 
We also added a little art to the walls. We hung my painting above the door (it fit perfectly) and we also hung a couple of pieces in the stairway.
I was always struggling with what to do on this wall. It is such a large odd wall. As I was going through my frames I found these 3 11X14's that I have had forever. I also do some sketching or writing in a sketchbook from time to time. I pulled out a couple of sketches, put them in the frames, and there you have it. Simple and cheap, my favorite. The side pieces were inspired by some prints I liked on Pinterest. The piece in the middle is the lyrics to our wedding songs (better together & angel by Jack Johnson) written out.

One of these days I will spring for some art but we aren't quite there yet. In the meantime our little touches are homemade but very personal.

ps. We are working on turning our coat closet into a pantry right now. Wish us luck! 

No comments:

Post a Comment