Sunday, February 21, 2016

I'm Back!

Last year I did a total of two! blog post for our poor little home blog. I have still been doing the occasional DIY project during our time away from blogging, but I couldn't seem to find the motivation to blog about them. Now that we are hitting out 2 year house-i-versary(today!!!) I have decided to pick it back up. Also in honor of our 2nd year being in our home I have decided to rename the blog. The Golden Peach was named with our Georgia home in mind, but Southern isn't really our style so it didn't really apply anymore. After a ridiculous amount of thinking about it we are going with Camp Yoast. In New England people call their vacation homes their "camps", I LOVE that. We truly feel like our home is the place we want to spend all our free time so it's our camp. 

After that little name change let's get to the reason we're here. The project I have been working on for the last couple of weeks is our master bedroom. In all of our apartments/homes we have never, not once, done anything to our master bedroom. I think because this is a room that most guests and visitors don't go in so it wasn't high on my priority list. The master bedroom in this house was just too sad to ignore. Shield your eyes....here is the before:  

Yikes...I know. Wood paneling, multicolored linoleum, dark furniture, dated bedding, orange trim, etc, etc, etc... 
The door on the left is to our enormous unfinished closet. The door on the right is our pink bathroom. We will tackle those at a later date. 
The room look smaller in pictures than in person. It is a long skinny room measuring about 10x20. 
Excuse the mess on the dresser. Just such a sad dark room.

My vision for this room was light bright and airy. We also have a general beach vibe around our home so I figured that will filter down to our bedroom as well. While Brian was out of town I got to painting. And painting. And painting.
My apologies for the iPhone pictures. My first coast of priming/edging/trim took me 4! hours.
The wood panelling soaked up the paint. I ended up running out of primer halfway through at about 2am.
Recruited some help for the next night.
Two coats of primer and 8 hours later. 
Originally I bought the color Reserve White by Sherwin Williams for the walls. After painting one wall I didn't love it. At all. It was too much white. I ended up taking a little bit of leftover paint from my kitchen (Sea Salt by Sherwin Williams) and doing some mixology until I came up with a color I liked. 
Reserve White is the top right and Sea Salt is the second down on the left. It turned out just how I imagined it. 

After a week of work and a lot of late night I have our progress picture. It is obviously quite the improvement. We picked up a new light quilt, shams, and a bed skirt for the bed. I painted all the brown wood frames we had white and added a little colorful art to the wall. I am LOVING the transformation so far. 


I still have a mile long list until this room is finished but we have been hard at work. We ordered a tan/white area rug yesterday. We get the rug next week and I can't wait for that. I have also painted all the bedroom furniture (ALL OF IT! Two nightstands, two dressers, a mirror, and the headboard) and will have those finished hopefully tonight. Brian built a bench this weekend for the foot of the bed (I love a bench for putting on my shoes). We are on the hunt for a vintage steamer trunk but until we find one a DIY bench is the perfect solution. I also need to paint the doors, update the outlets, new lighting, paint the inside of the windows (saving that for summer), and probably some window treatments. 

It is such a breath of fresh air. I am finding that the effort I put into making this space more inviting has actually been motivating me to wake up and make my bed everyday, keep my room tidier, and spend more time in there.

I am feeling so excited getting back into project mode. I have some finished projects lined up to share and plenty of project in the works. 

Happy Sunday!


No comments:

Post a Comment