Monday, April 8, 2013

Spray Paint 101

So I have been a little MIA lately. First we went out of town for Easter weekend and then I found myself feeling lazy with the rainy weather that came through Georgia. Well the weather has perked up and so have I. We were up late working on some small projects and I thought I would share this fun little update. 

When we moved into the house a few things came with it. We inherited a basketball hoop, a piano, some paint, a lot of wallpaper (ugh), and some other things that should be thrown away. I came across these plastic pots at the bottom of our porch. They were dirty (stained) full of bugs and dirt. I have been wanting pots for each side of the front door and these are a far cry from what I want. However, before tossing them I thought I might try a spruce up to see if it would do any good. 




First I cleaned them off. This didn't do too much because they were pretty weathered and stained. But it was a slight improvement. Not enough to put them by the front door though. 



I started with a primer using Rustoleum Universal white in satin. It has the primer built in and I wanted to see what they looked like with some white on. It looked way better with even a little primer on. 


For the final product I was going for a ceramic look. I used Rustoleum Universal Oil Rubbed Bronze which I also use on this project and it will probably become a staple around here. I think the finished product turned out great. It is reading really dark in the pictures but it has more of a bronze hue in person. 


I did two coats for good coverage. 

Right now they are on each side of the door looking a little naked. We have plans for some trees in them but this is where they will end up. For a couple of free pots that were garbage bound and a dash of spray paint I call this a successful spruce. 








No comments:

Post a Comment