Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Stick A Fork In It...

Ladies and Gentleman I can now say that our table is FINALLY done! It has been a long time coming (with a job and a baby) but it is done and she is a beaut. If you wanna look back you can see the first two posts here and here or you can scroll down and I'll take you on a trip down farmhouse table lane. 

We made the table out of pine mostly because of the price. I think the key was picking really great pieces of pine with a lot of character. We wanted it rustic but not beat up looking. We used anawhite.com for our design reference. 



After sanding the wood within an inch of its life I used a wood conditioner that really brought out the grain. We stained it using Sherwin Williams Walnut Wainscot (leftover from Brian's desk project). I didn't want it too dark so I would paint on the stain (using a foam brush) and Brian would wipe it right off. I loved it immediately. I almost wished we didn't have to add a poly because I loved it with just a stain. 




After A LOT of research about which finish to use we ended up using Mini Wax Polyurethane in Satin. We didn't want a gloss finish but wanted protection. Well I thought I loved it after the stain but it is SO much better with the poly finish. It brought out every detail and grain in the wood. The pictures don't really do it justice. We did two coats of poly with 24 hours and a sand in between each coat. 

love that knot


After taking a lot of measurements (45"wide, 84"long, 30"tall) we figured we could squeeze it through the doors (barely) without taking the legs off. After bribing some friends with pizza we had the muscle we needed. They got the table from the garage to the dining room with only a little sweat. Then we feasted! 


before and progress shots

the chairs are from our other table, just holding place for now

The table is done...whew. Now we need to find some chairs, build some floating shelves, decorate, and throw dinner parties of course!


No comments:

Post a Comment