Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Stretching A Canvas

Last year for Mother's Day Brian got me a big roll of canvas. Yes last year! We moved not long after and my poor roll of canvas has been sitting in storage. Finally we are getting settled and I was feeling inspired so it was time to put that canvas to good use. I asked Brian to make me a frame while I checked out tips on stretching canvas. Turns out it is really easy. 

Supply List:
-Un-primed roll of canvas
-Wood for frame (they have pre-measured frames at craft stores)
-Staple gun

Brian used 1x1 pieces of pine and made a basic frame. The frame measures around 40"x50". 

First I unrolled the canvas a placed the frame on top. I left about 6 inches of canvas all the way around the frame since I am a beginner. Next time I will leave less excess. 


I started with one of the long sides and folded the canvas up and put one staple in the center. I then did this to each side (long sides fist and then short sides) and pulled the canvas tight each time. 

Once I had a staple in each side I then went to each side (following the same pattern) and put two staples in. I would pull it snug using the frame each time. I did this until I got to the corner of each side. 


This picture is with the sides all stapled. You can see that the canvas is pulled tight underneath. The trick for me is only putting in a couple of staples each side and then following the same pattern as you move from side to side. I can see that if you  tried to do one side at a time you may end up with ripples. 


Once I got to the corner I folded the extra fabric so there is a 45* angle fold on one side and it is smooth on the other. I then put a couple staples in. 


Once all four corners are stapled you have a stretched canvas! You can see that I had a lot of extra fabric but it came out nice and tight with no ripples. Not bad for our first try. 


All trimmed up and ready for primer. 


The entire project took about 30 minutes. I am including the 10 minutes it took for Brian to build the frame. Brian also did the stapling while I did the pulling and stretching. It would have taken much longer if I did it alone but it is entirely possible. This pregnant girl is not above asking for some assistance these days. 

After we stretched the canvas I grabbed the Gesso to prime. This step actually took me longer than the stretching. The canvas soaks up the primer really fast and it took a while to get nice coverage. I ended up doing 2 coats of Gesso before I started the actual painting. 

I loved this project. I now have a custom size canvas for far cheaper than any store bought pre-stretched canvas. It really was as easy as it sounds and I would recommend trying it. Custom and cheap, you can't beat that. 


ps. I have since finished the painting and will hopefully post some pictures on here next week :) When I am feeling inspired, things get done!


No comments:

Post a Comment