Monday, July 14, 2014

A Step Up

I had a burst of energy this week. After painting the hallway and FINALLY getting my house somewhat clean I decided to paint the stairs. When I have energy I have to take advantage of it because it doesn't come easily and I am a couple weeks away of having even less time and energy. 

Our house was built in 1970 and is very dated. We have been trying to figure out ways to update here and there and painting the stair risers is a perfect way for a quick and easy update. We have orangey wood floors that we would love to refinish in a walnut or darker stain. In the meantime we are gonna work with what we have.

Check out the difference... 



The process was really simple:
1. Clean. 
2. Tape (If you have unsteady hands like me).
3. Use a short handle angel brush.
4. Prime (I did 3 coats of Kilz latex primer).
5. Paint (I used 1-2 coats of off the shelf semi-gloss white).
6. Caulking and touch ups. 
7. Admire your work.

I still need to finish the caulking and touch ups but my pregnant body is tired from sitting on those stairs for so long. I have already moved on to admiring my work and loving it. 

I love small updates that make a huge difference.

For this space we still plan on doing a couple of things. We want to pull up the carpet that is covering the wood floor of the entry. It is  dirty and old. We also want to add a stair runner. In the winter we will be walking in with wet/snow boots so we would like the stairs to not be so slippery. We also want to build a better baby gate (like a door on hinges). Amelia has already figured out how to open the gate and with a new baby coming we need to make sure she doesn't open that gate up for a crawler to fall down. Eventually we plan on replacing the railing as well. I actually don't dislike the railing as much now that the stairs are painted but it is still not really our style.

For now we will call this space 20% finished. 

Happy Monday! 



No comments:

Post a Comment