Monday, March 25, 2013

Farmhouse Table Part I

Our first big project is soooo close to being done. Our dining room table has been on our to do list for years. We knew that our first big project would be building our own table. I love the farmhouse style because we (mostly just me) are beginners so the design is forgiving. I had the idea in my head and I found a great design at Ana White. Her blog is AMAZING! She has a design for everything and breaks it down even to the cut list. Really great!

Brian did not follow her actual plans but we did stick with her design. We customized the table to fit the room and the amount of chairs (8) that we wanted to fit around it. We stuck with pine because it is affordable and looks great with a nice stain on it. 

Brian started with the table top. He used a joiner with glue to join all the planks together. We have 4 2x12 capped with 2 2x12 on the end. The table top is around 7" long and 4" wide (huge and HEAVY). He framed it out for support with 2x4 boards underneath.  



After the top was done he did the legs and frame. We wanted 4x4 legs but could not find them anywhere. Most of the local mills have gone out of business and the only one that carried them they were in cedar and really pricey. We decided to use 2 2x4 pieces. I am loving how it is turning out. 


yep, that is a Goose hiney...

I have now sanded it, conditioned it, and stained it. I am waiting for the stain to dry and I will finish it up with another sand and a poly finish. I can't wait to see/show the finished product. Now I need to figure out the chairs...and how to get it from the garage into the house...We'll worry about those tiny details later.



p.s. I didn't go into much detail because I am not very wordy but if you have any questions about details feel free to ask :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment