Sunday, March 24, 2013

Painting Our Stair Railing

When we moved in one of the first things on my list was the trim. I am not a big fan of dark trim in small spaces. After we tackled the trim and fireplace we moved onto the stair railing in the hallway. When you walk in the front door it's the first thing you see and I felt that it made the house look dated. 

We used the same approach for the railing as we did for the rest of the trim. We gave it a really light sand and started with a primer. Brian did the primer while I was out of town so the smell wouldn't be too strong with a baby in the house. I finished it off with 3 (yes 3!) coats of Olympic Premium No VOC white (semi-gloss). Painting a railing is NOT fun. Very tedious and meticulous work. Worth it. You can see the before and after below. 

Before...hello 1986


*after*

(yes that is a pile of laundry 
at the top of the 
stairs, whatevs)

I still need to paint the walls leading up the stairs, but this is a clear improvement. I love how these little changes can make a huge difference. I really need to get some art/decor up on those walls. One thing at a time I guess. 


No comments:

Post a Comment